There is no content to display.
During spring-cleaning, we clean our houses, desks, offices, and even our cars, but we neglect to think about our teeth.
Which is a shame, because the start of spring is the natural time to get your smile and oral health in tiptop condition for the summer that lies ahead.
So, at Smiles First Dental, we’ve put together a non-traditional spring cleaning checklist, one for cleaning your smile and springing into better dental health!
Below are some spring cleaning tips to help clean your mouth, as well as a list of useful treatments Smiles First Dental offers for spring and in the year to follow!
Tips for a dental spring-cleaning
- Get a new toothbrush. Have you been using a toothbrush that came in your Christmas stocking? Well, Christmas was a long time ago, so it’s time to bid goodbye to these dingy, beaten-down bristles. Smiles First Dental recommends that you replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months. Also, you should replace your toothbrush or toothbrush head if you have been ill, as you can pass diseases back to yourself through an infected toothbrush.
- Clean Your retainer / Invisalign / night guard cases. Cleaning our Invisalign, retainers, and mouth guards), etc. is a routine part of our daily oral hygiene program. Their carrying cases, on the other hand, often sit, neglected, in on our bathroom counters. They can collect bacteria and sludge. Spring-cleaning is an opportunity to soak your cases and then give them a good scrub to clean off bacteria and debris. And if you get sick, you should always remember to scrub your retainers, guards, and cases to avoid becoming ill again.
- Take a close look at expiration dates. Many dentists recommend a mouth rinse as part of a good daily oral hygiene routine, but mouthwash can get old and less effective. Take a look at your mouthwash bottle and if the expiration date is passed, toss it out and purchase a new bottle.
- Upgrade equipment. Increase cleaning power by upgrading your manual toothbrush to an electric one. Electric brushes remove debris from your teeth more effectively and with less effort. Better yet, they come with cool built-in features such as automatic timers.
- Avoid sugary spring drinks. Sugary drinks can do massive damage to your teeth. Sugar attaches to the surfaces of your mouth, creating an ideal environment for bacteria that can damage your teeth. Choose water as your spring drink of choice.
How Smiles First Dental can help
6-Month check-up, clean and scale. Regular six monthly examinations are the best form of dental prevention. This way we are able to pick up on any problems early, allowing the most options to provide you with a healthy and beautiful smile.
During your scheduled checkup Smiles First Dental can:
- Check for signs of decay or breakage
- Check existing restorations
- Examine gums for signs of gum disease
- Examine your tongue, throat, cheeks, and lips for indications of oral cancer (caught early, oral cancer is treatable)
- Evaluate your jaw joint and bite
Scale and clean help you fight of the threat of plaque, tartar, and decay.
Clean out bad breath. Bad breath can be extremely embarrassing and affect confidence and how others perceive you. Your Northmead dentist knows bad breath is a sensitive subject, and we treat it appropriately. We can help you clean out bad breath for a better smelling spring!
Tooth whitening. Whiter teeth are like just-cleaned windows or a newly painted fence. They make a sparkling first impression. Our recommended teeth whitening procedures are professional home whitening systems and in-chair Zoom whitening.
Before you start teeth whitening, we recommend a complete checkup and clean to ensure your teeth and gums are healthy enough to withstand the whitening process. The scale and clean will remove any surface stains and calculus, crucial for a more effective whitening result.
Clean, healthy teeth for all seasons!
Spring cleaning is a great opportunity to improve your dental health, but don’t stop when spring ends! Follow the above tips for a healthier, cleaner smile in every season. To schedule a cleaning or learn more about improving your oral health, contact Smiles First Dental.
Dental Care at Smiles First Dental
Smiles First Dental is your trusted dentist in Northmead in Greater Western Sydney. Your oral health and the appearance of your smile are important to us. Our highly trained staff treats all dental issues, including complicated problems related to other health conditions.
Our commitment to our patients is maximised dental health and a stunning smile.
We make life a little bit easier for our patients by offering late hours on weekdays and weekend appointments.
Gap-free check up and clean
We offer all patients gap-free check ups, cleans and all preventative treatments if you are in a private health fund ($180 for patients not in a private health fund).
Call (02) 9630 9996 or visit us at 19/5-7 Kleins Rd in Northmead.